What is Flatiron?
Flatiron is a unique render-to-texture plug-in which is capable of baking full scenes or selections of objects into a single UV Map with only few simple clicks.
It is a fast, simple and yet configurable automatic unwrapping and baking solution that greatly speeds up the process of baking complex scenes.
Advantages of Flatiron
- Unwrap and bake multiple objects into a single texture map without having to manually arrange UV charts or compose rendered maps in image editing software.
- Automatically unwrap and pack objects UVs in a way that utilizes a large amount of the available texture map space.
- Use unique organic, hard-surface or projection unwrapping methods for superior UV compressions
- Create maps that contain textures for multiple objects at once, keeping actually required texture memory low.
- Keep a uniform pixel density on mesh surfaces – even across multiple objects. This avoids the effect of some areas on the mesh having a very sharp and detailed texture while others appear blurred.
- Support for network rendering, distributed rendering and further automation possibilities through MAXScript allow you to integrate Flatiron flexibly into your existing production pipeline.
- Unwrap all the objects in a scene and bake them in a single render pass, leading to finished high quality texture maps in record time.
Flatiron is ideally suited for
Game developers who need to add a maximum of visual quality to their games while keeping hardware requirements at a minimum. Bake shadow maps or ambient occlusion for complete rooms or even whole levels at once and combine multiple objects on a single uv map.
Major international game and infotainment companies including Ubisoft, Firaxis, Sega, Monolith, Sanzigen, Gameloft, deepsilver, Gas Powered Games, as well as industrial and telecommunication key players such as Disney, Sony, Panasonic, Konami, Pixomondo, Fuji, Mitsubishi, CBS TV Network, FOX, Thyssen and Dynamic Pictures have utilized Flatiron unique technology.
Architects and product designers visualizing their creations in minimal amounts of render time. Bake the illumination for the complete background scenery into a single map instead of recalculating its visual details repetitively.
This allows you to concentrate the render time on the things that matter the most: Your products or architecture.
Designers creating real-time visuals for mobile devices or similar platforms with very limited texture memory. Bake a single map that is shared by multiple objects and can contain a whole scene with minimal wasted texture space.
Flatiron can be used with all 3ds Max integrated renderers that have texture baking support. No matter if you use Scanline, Mental-Ray or plug-ins like V-Ray or FinalRender, Flatiron will work with all their render elements.
Support for network rendering, distributed rendering and further automation possibilities through MAXScript allow you to integrate Flatiron flexibly into your existing production pipeline.
Flatiron current version: 2.20 (changelog) is compatible with:
3ds Max 2017 I 3ds Max 2016 I 3ds Max 2015 I 3ds Max 2014
3ds Max 2013 32bit & 64bit 3ds Max 2012 32bit & 64bit
3ds Max 2011 32bit & 64bit 3ds Max 2010 32bit & 64bit